California woman caught meningitis from smoking medical marijuana contaminated with lethal fungus

A 48-year-old woman in California contracted a potentially deadly meningitis infection in 2016 from smoking her favorite medical marijuana strain three to six times a day, according to a British Medical Journal case study report published last month.

The infection came from a fungus, called cryptococcus, that most people contract from inhaling contaminated dust or eating food that mouse feces have touched.

Meningitis is the most common illness to develop from exposure to cryptococcus, and causes potentially fatal inflammation in the brain and spinal cord.

MORE


Rahhal, Natalie. “California woman caught meningitis from smoking medical marijuana contaminated with lethal fungus.” www.dailymail.co.uk. 30 January 2018. Web. 2 February 2018.